Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Tax Time

This is the time of year my anger at the federal bureaucracy reaches the boiling point, as I do my taxes.  They decreased everyone's withholding last year so we'd feel richer; that is until it's time to pay it back.  Government treating me like a child and jacking with my paycheck was just one more brick in the wall.  I was working so much overtime I didn't notice until it was too late.

It's not even the money so much as it is the complexity and time spent trying to get it right.  We all live in dread of an "invitation" from The IRS.

George Will sums it up beautifully:
Today's tax system was shaped by sadists who were trying to be nice:

Every wrinkle in the code was put there to benefit this or that interest.

Since the 1986 tax simplification, the code has been recomplicated more than 14,000 times -- more than once a day.
He's written a 2012 fantasy piece where Mitch Daniels had just been elected president and Paul Ryan is his VP.  Will's look into the future is a brilliant explanation of Ryan's roadmap in story form.

He then invites readers to...
 "Compare Ryan's lucid map to the Democrats' impenetrable labyrinth of health care legislation."
The Democrats are driving a decrepit, politburo-centric agenda that produces impenetrable, backwards-looking bureaucratic sludge.    Go read Ryan's Roadmap and you'll see why Republicans own the future with their forward-looking agenda.

6 comments:

Leticia said...

Prepare yourself because your paycheck is going to be a lot smaller and your hours will increase to pay for the high taxes and premiums of insurance.

Just love those Dems.

WomanHonorThyself said...

I feel your pain..hang in there!
The govt will take good care of us: NOT!!

Snarky Basterd said...

I'm lucky. I get to work overtime ... for free ... and receive an incredulous look if I ask for a bonus. Why, I should just forfeit all of my wages now, for the good of the people ... except, hmm, that $350 fine looms for not buying health insurance ... and I can buy 30 AK-47s with the money I save not paying the $6,000 I spend now on health insurance.

Hmmm. Wonder which path I'll choose.

Most Rev. Gregori said...

If you think it is bad this year, wait until next year, it gets worse.

Anonymous said...

Yup wait til the Bush tax expires...oh well, I already corrected my W4 to zero and considering adding 20 dollars extra to the pot in the even I end up oweing uncle sam.

I already paid my taxes but it hurt me so bad to write that hefty check.

The sad part is that I already made my decision on various superfluous expenses. 1. No Camping Trips 2. No 4th of July fireworks 3. No lavish get togethers with friends, not even BYOB. 4. No renewal of my motorcycle lic plates. 5. Boycotting any Christmas spending this year til I change in Washington.

Its about conservatism and that means spend less. Its the only way we can send the message to Washington. As sales drops so does revenue for Washington!

Silverfiddle said...

"Its about conservatism and that means spend less. Its the only way we can send the message to Washington. As sales drops so does revenue for Washington!"

You know, Anon, that's an excellent point. Starve government through decrease in revenues. Unfortunately they have more weapons in their arsenal than we do. That can tax more and borrow more...

Post a Comment