Saturday, August 28, 2010

Stop Making Sense

I rented "Stop Making Sense" a few weeks back.  It is a most excellent Talking Heads concert movie by master of the genre Jonathan Demme.  His film making magic combined with David Byrne's musical and performance art genius make this 1984 work a timeless masterpiece.

It was the second time I had rented it, and the kids liked it both times, first as toddlers dancing with the beat and imitating Byrne's quirky twitches, this time in a more staid teen repose, but nonetheless enjoying the show.

I first saw it in a no-kidding movie theater near downtown Denver.  The place was a threadbare palace from the past that featured a real stage with heavy embroidered curtains that slowly pulled back to reveal the silver screen. It featured art deco lumier lights on the walls and a real balcony they still allowed rowdy teens to roost in while watching the midnight movie (remember those?)

While the weirdos were watching Rocky Horror Picture Show (I never saw it) my friends and I were rocking the balcony, dancing to the Talking Heads...


5 comments:

Christopher - Conservative Perspective said...

Hey Silver,

Great band to be sure.

It's funny, as I read about the theater you describe I immediatly thought of Rocky Horror with great memories and then you go and say 'weirdo'.

Come'on, Rocky was and is a cult classic rock/opera, horror/comedy starring among many; Tim Curry, Susan Sarandon and Meat Loaf.

Granted the theme was kooky but that is what it was meant to be.

The theater that became home on the weekend's here in my distant youth was called 'The Punch and Judy'in the City of Grosse Pointe,MI with much the same decor as you so aptly describe.

In downtown Detroit, owner of Little Caesars Pizza and both the Red Wings Hockey team and the Detroit Tigers Baseball club Mike Illitch also owns the historic and fabulous Fox Theatre and has completely restored it to it's former and original grandure.

If the Fox were to have a showing of 'The Rocky Horror Picture Show' (I wish) the place would be packed to the rafter's with people enjoying music, fond memories and much comraderie.

I know you posted on the Talking Heads (again, great band) but you got me going with the 'weirdo' line and I really enjoyed you taking me back to memories that do not come up often.

Silverfiddle said...

You gotta allow me some poetic license... I was "in the moment" when I wrote it. I love music, and I would only dis someone else's in jest.

Music, and music movies are about just what you and I describe: People having fun and enjoying the event.

Christopher - Conservative Perspective said...

Silver,

I hold you in no contempt whatsoever, it's just you got me remebering as I said which pushed me into typing,,lol,,Thanks again!

Besides, if we were not allowed poetic license we would not be bloggers!

Endo_2011 said...

I remember being forced to go to a "rocky" show back in the late 80's and I do agree they were a bit freakish! I am scarred to this day from the experience. However, my wife is still a fan, so I have to be careful of what I say about them!

Silverfiddle said...

Music is a very personal thing to many of us, right below religion...

Post a Comment