Friday, December 17, 2010

The Murdered Tree

Europeans have been vandalizing Christianity for centuries, but they cry crocodile tears over a thorn tree supposedly planted by Joseph of Arimathea, and it’s not even the original tree.

This is a druidistic mourning for a murdered tree, and has nothing to do with Christianity.

I’m not making light of this. It was a cool looking tree and it was a distinguishing feature of the Glastonbury landscape. The perpetrators should be caught and charged with vandalism, at the least.

Also, I hate to see the wanton destruction of anything, especially a living thing. I admit to being a tree-hugger. I love them. The pines in our front yard are a flashpoint between Mrs. Silverfiddle and me. She wants me to hack them down and I can’t bear the thought of it (even though I’m the one, at her insistence, who has to decorate them as Christmas trees each December.)

The destruction of that tree was mindless, nihilistic vandalism, spawned by generations of liberal European nothingism. Some drug-addled punk did it to outrage people. Not by striking at the root of Christianity in Scotland, but by removing a beloved landmark.

Does anyone on the old sod even have a sense enough of the sacred to conceive of such a revenge against those stupid, superstitious Christians? I doubt it. Raising the price of cigarettes would elicit more outrage than any supposed insult to Christianity.

David Warren – Convert our Pagan Savages

3 comments:

tha malcontent said...

Very interesting, I must admit. Good post.

Trestin said...

When read the headlines about the tree I wondered how a 2,000 year old tree could be a symbol of Christianity.

commoncents said...

THANK YOU for posting!!

Steve
common cents
http://www.commoncts.blogspot.com

Post a Comment