Sunday, February 7, 2010

The Religious Right

There's a tension between cultural conservatives and their more secular libertarian cousins  

I think the NY Times and other liberal founts of inanity make too much of tea party splits, and differences between social conservatives and their more libertarian cousins.  They want us at each others' throats.  

God is Great
I don't want my elected officials to stand up and shout "God is great!"  I want them to stand up for the constitution and shout "The First Amendment is great!"

My Dogma is better than Your Dogma
We have been bullied by activist judges and liberal loudmouth lawyers into shutting up in the public marketplace of ideas.  They put issues like immigration, God and gay marriage beyond the pale of acceptable discourse.  If you are not on their side, you are a bigot, or worse, you may run afoul of hate speech codes.

This is wrong.  A high school valedictorian has the right to invoke Jesus in her speech, and others have a right to not listen.  This does not constitute the state coercing anyone into believing anything.  Christian moralists have a right to publicly oppose homosexual marriage, just as others have the right to rail against what they perceive as religious bigotry.

Keep Your Politicians out of My Family Values
I'm all for "Family Values."  My family and I live them on a daily basis; I don't need politicians blabbering on about them.  I merely want my elected officials to defend the constitution.

If you love God and love your country, a vigorous defense of The Constitution is the best you can hope for from your government.  Indeed if you believe in the constitution, you would want it no other way.

The Constitution does not mandate a religious morality.  It does restate our God given right to speak, worship and otherwise express ourselves in the public square.  If our Judeo-Christian morality is a good thing (and I believe it is) it can withstand public scrutiny and criticism in the free market place of ideas.

6 comments:

Christopher - Conservative Perspective said...

I agree with what you say here Silverfiddle.

At the same time and due to the liberals hypocrisy one can rail against Christianity in public and even text books but do not dare to against Muslims and Sharia laws.

If Christians God can take it, so can theirs. I differenciate the two as I know of no god that would accept such barbaric behavoir let alone our Constitution.

Fredd said...

I could be wrong (but I'm not), but let's just say that the social and cultural conservatives (a.k.a. 'Bible Thumpers' and "NASCAR-types") and the fiscal and economic conservatives ('Blue Bloods') remain at odds, and cannot get together and sing kumbaya anytime soon. Assume this will always be the case.

Come election time, and each of these Bible Thumpers or Blue Bloods enters that voting booth alone. All by themselves.

Who do you think each will vote for: a liberal, or a conservative? From a practical viewpoint, we all sing kumbaya at the ballot box.

Or, as that unnamed ancient Arab once uttered, 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend.'

TKZ said...

I agree. The thing that should unite us is the Constitution, and hopefully, as Fredd says, we'll be united by it on election day.

Silverfiddle said...

You're never wrong, Fredd.

Our singing kumbayah at the ballot box is a good observation. The libs know it, which is why they trumpet every tea party or GOP division, imaginary or not.

My only fear is a "true conservative" or "tea party" third party. I'll be writing a lot about this in the near future. Stay tuned!

Fredd said...

Silver: Agreed, that third party craziness is a wild card in the discussion. Hopefully it will not rear its ugly head anytime soon.

FYI, my wife has a different view from you about how often I am wrong. Trust me.

Silverfiddle said...

Nothing keeps a man grounded like a good, honest wife, Fredd!

Post a Comment